Introduction and specs
The Asus Zenfone 7 sequence had a Professional and non-Professional mannequin, however now, the Zenfone Eight sequence takes a special strategy with its two choices named Zenfone Eight Flip and simply Zenfone 8. The previous retains the enduring flip digicam mechanism, whereas the smaller mannequin goals to fill within the hole of a full-fledged mini Android flagship.
Curiously, Asus has harassed that the Flip is not the direct successor to the Zenfone 7 Professional – the vanilla Eight is. This additionally explains why the Eight acquired the extra significant upgrades whereas the Eight Flip looks like a side-grade.
No matter their smartphone positioning, within the grand scheme of issues, Asus appears to be filling a sure vacant spot available in the market. The spot of an fanatic’s model that challenges the established order and provides flagship killer gadgets like OnePlus used to do.
Asus Zenfone Eight Flip specs at a look:
- Physique: 165.0×77.3×9.6mm, 230g; Glass entrance (Gorilla Glass 6), glass again (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum body.
- Show: 6.67″ Tremendous AMOLED, 90Hz, HDR10+, 1000 nits (peak), 1080x2400px decision, 20:9 side ratio, 395ppi; At all times-on show.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Reminiscence: 256GB 8GB RAM; UFS 3.1; microSDXC (devoted slot).
- OS/Software program: Android 11, ZenUI 8.
- Rear digicam: Vast (foremost): 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Extremely extensive angle: 12 MP, f/2.2, 112˚, 14mm, half of.55″, 1.4µm, twin pixel PDAF; Telephoto: Eight MP, f/2.4, 80mm, PDAF, 3x optical zoom.
- Entrance digicam: Motorized flip-up foremost digicam module.
- Video seize: Rear digicam: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS, HDR; Entrance digicam: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS, HDR.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Quick charging 30W, USB Energy Supply 3.0.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (underneath show, optical); NFC; Three microphones;
We’re not saying that different manufacturers like Xiaomi lack any reasonably priced flagship propositions. Nevertheless, the Zenfone Eight Flip and the Eight vanilla every provides one thing the others do not. The previous goals to be the selfie king and will get bonus factors for its digicam setup on the again, which is flexible in a couple of approach. The Eight is, properly, a correct compact flagship, a uncommon breed as of late.
We’ll give attention to the Flip on this overview. It impresses not solely with the value but additionally appears to be chopping approach fewer corners than its predecessors. It is essentially the most mature flip digicam Zenfone but, so to talk. A fast skim by way of the specs sheet suggests an nearly full-fledged flagship expertise with clear Android UI with out breaking the financial institution. Does that sound acquainted? It is what OnePlus used to face for.
The clear Android expertise does not should be bland, although. Asus has baked in additional than a handful of customized software program options that elevate the consumer expertise.
Alternatively, the Zenfone Eight Flip has fewer upgrades to boast about. The identical 90Hz OLED panel is on board together with the unchanged digicam setup, and there’s no 3.5mm jack regardless of the very fact there may be one on the extra compact vanilla Zenfone 8. We might have anticipated extra upgrades on this yr’s generational improve. However maybe there’s greater than meets the attention, so let’s get on with our overview and unravel what the Zenfone Eight Flip is all about.
Unboxing the Asus Zenfone Eight Flip
The handset comes inside a trendy, gray-colored field with some goodies inside. It begins with the 30W quick charging brick and a corresponding USB-C to USB-C cable.
Asus has additionally included a customized protecting case. Our expertise with it’s combined as a result of it is made from arduous plastic and makes the telephone even bulkier, and it is arguably much less grippy than the telephone itself.
Then once more, we admire the patterned design, which is approach higher than a budget clear circumstances that normally include telephones. Additionally, the truth that you get a case out of the field is a pleasant bonus given the bizarre, area of interest design of the Flip. We suspect aftermarket circumstances can be scarce, particularly at launch.
Talking of the case, it has a small change subsequent to the digicam module that locks the flip module in place. Asus says it is notably helpful when the telephone is placed on a motorbike, for instance. The system would know it is locked, and the Flip would keep in place even when robust vibrations happen.